Monday, November 21, 2011

Thankful





I am thankful for many things on a daily basis. I use the month of November (as do so many others) to come up with a daily "Thankful" thing. It really does make one think about all of the things we take for granted. Yes- I am grateful for all of the things I have been posting about- and writing about one each day makes me that much more appreciative. 


I do a similar thing in April with Autism Awareness Month- each day I post a fact, myth or story about Autism. I live with Autism every damn day- but during that one month I attempt to bring others into my world, and create an understanding about Autism for those who don't know. 


So- this month I have been thankful for family, friends, coffee, midol, wine....I mean it really is the little things isn't it? Here is a list of off the beaten path things I can think of to be thankful for. There is no particular order- just written as they came to mind... I would love to hear yours too...



 1)Blogging-Why? Because I'm able to process my thoughts in a different way and to hopefully help and encourage others while also receiving encouragement from everyone who reads my stuff.


2) Autism- How weird is that? But having a child with High Functioning Autism has opened my eyes to a whole world of kids and adults with varying degrees of Autism, and other disorders that I always knew was there, but never really thought about. Now- I am trying desperately to finish my degree in Special Education so I can be a voice for those who don't have one- which is why I advocate loudly for not only my son, but for ALL children.  I have grown, and learned and become a better parent and educator because of my son's Autism. Doesn't seem weird at all,now does it?











3)My kids- this one is pretty self explanatory- my kids are my world- I love them more than I can ever say. 


He is my Cracker Jack








4)My husband- He is funny, smart, frustrating, loving and awesome. He is everything I always wanted and I am constantly wondering why the hell he sticks around with a foul mouth, loud bitch like me... he is an amazing dad and loyal friend- my complaints are truly small- and I am damned lucky to have him.


5) When the kids are fighting-  Another one that makes people raise their eyebrows and snort disbelievingly- but it's true and here is why-   When the kids are screaming at each other, I am  thankful that I have children to love and who love me, and they do get along on occasion. That my autistic son has a voice and CAN argue with his sister is also pretty damn awesome to me...


6) The comfort of being around someone who knows you well- Again- pretty self explanatory- having friends that you can talk about anything with is awesome. I am blessed to have several... 
One group of very good friends 


7) Lazy Sundays


8) Kids laughter


9) Belly laughs


10) Silly jokes


My grandma is the BEST!
11) My family- near and far...I miss my grandma so very much- and I think it is so awesome she is on Facebook so we can keep up with each other!


12) Scented Candles


13) When everyone around me is happy


14) Wine- I love wine- sweet wines are my favorite, but I love a good Chard, or a good Cab... mmmmm...wine


15) Long Weekends


16) Being ridiculously peppy and cheerful most of the time- even when I am not :) 


17) Unexpected generosity


18)  Having grown up enough to NOT say exactly what is on my mind at any given time...


19) When my 13 year old Teenzilla shows wisdom beyond her years


20) My oldest son's amazing artistic talent


My boy's art
Thanksgiving is a very special holiday and  This list is just a minuscule drop in the bucket for me.  It's not about presents, giving or receiving material things.  it is all about family, and friends, those you hold dear. So embrace those around you and your ability to give thanks to those you love.    


If you think Independence Day is America's defining holiday, think again. Thanksgiving deserves that title, hands-down.
Tony Snow






1 comment:

  1. I've loved doing this 30-days-of-thanks deal! There's a bit of a randomness behind it because there are so many things I'm thankful for. I think you'll appreciate that one of the last things I'm going to list for the month is the adversity I've faced. I've learned a lot about myself and the world through that, so that I really am thankful!

    I'm thankful, too, for how blogging has brought me in touch with people I'd never have met otherwise. Like you!

    (Love the H202 joke, by the way. Hee.)

    ReplyDelete