Saturday, August 27, 2011

And this is why I cry in the car sometimes...Damn

Damn


This was at football practice...Friday I believe. Look at the 3 boys in green...ALL looking at my boy- while he stands apart from the pack. *Sigh*  

He IS trying- his coaches are awesome, he goes to long ass practices wearing all of that equipment without a struggle or even a whimper. I am so proud of him- no matter what - he is my MVP and always will be. 

It's pictures like this that drag me back to reality- a reality with Autism- and no matter how much progress he makes- he will always be "different". I celebrate his uniqueness every day- but that is not to say that somewhere deep down ( and sometimes not so deep down) I just wish so bad that he was "normal"

Whatever the fuck normal is anyway...

He has now completed 2 weeks of practice- this is the "make it or quit" stage- and he made it. His scrimmage is next week and the first game is on  September 10th. I know he is third string and won't get much play time (well  he gets a guaranteed 4  plays per half, them's the rules)but I hope that the first game gets him deep down where that passion is- that same passion for dinosaurs he has. He would be absolutely unstoppable at that point!

I posted this quote on my Facebook page, Red Vines and Red Wine the other day:


Never disourage anyone who makes progress, no matter how slow. You cannot do good unless you feel good. When you are serene, relaxed and enthusiastic, you are also more productive, creative and dynamic.  This is something that has been proven time and time again yet we consistently get caught up in the apparent immediacy of our routine and fail to see the forest for the trees. 

Pretty damn profound don't ya think?  Our coaching staff is patient,( oh so patient!) and works hard at making ALL the players feel good.  Today he had a GREAT day...and even though he dropped the watermelon in the watermelon drill- he worked his ass off- got high praise from the coach and led the boys in the end of  practice cheer.  So- no crying  in the car today....let's see what next week brings.

The melon was cracked and slippery- he still got it across the field- and coach was videoing it too!