Saturday, August 27, 2011

And this is why I cry in the car sometimes...Damn

Damn


This was at football practice...Friday I believe. Look at the 3 boys in green...ALL looking at my boy- while he stands apart from the pack. *Sigh*  

He IS trying- his coaches are awesome, he goes to long ass practices wearing all of that equipment without a struggle or even a whimper. I am so proud of him- no matter what - he is my MVP and always will be. 

It's pictures like this that drag me back to reality- a reality with Autism- and no matter how much progress he makes- he will always be "different". I celebrate his uniqueness every day- but that is not to say that somewhere deep down ( and sometimes not so deep down) I just wish so bad that he was "normal"

Whatever the fuck normal is anyway...

He has now completed 2 weeks of practice- this is the "make it or quit" stage- and he made it. His scrimmage is next week and the first game is on  September 10th. I know he is third string and won't get much play time (well  he gets a guaranteed 4  plays per half, them's the rules)but I hope that the first game gets him deep down where that passion is- that same passion for dinosaurs he has. He would be absolutely unstoppable at that point!

I posted this quote on my Facebook page, Red Vines and Red Wine the other day:


Never disourage anyone who makes progress, no matter how slow. You cannot do good unless you feel good. When you are serene, relaxed and enthusiastic, you are also more productive, creative and dynamic.  This is something that has been proven time and time again yet we consistently get caught up in the apparent immediacy of our routine and fail to see the forest for the trees. 

Pretty damn profound don't ya think?  Our coaching staff is patient,( oh so patient!) and works hard at making ALL the players feel good.  Today he had a GREAT day...and even though he dropped the watermelon in the watermelon drill- he worked his ass off- got high praise from the coach and led the boys in the end of  practice cheer.  So- no crying  in the car today....let's see what next week brings.

The melon was cracked and slippery- he still got it across the field- and coach was videoing it too!


2 comments:

  1. That is SO frickin AWESOME!! I have a 14yo son(Alex) that has Cerebral Palsy... Hes had it since right after birth... Hes always been in a wheelchair, doesnt communicate in any way and also has seizures... I hate when ppl stare at him like hes a f*cking alien. Kids... I dont mind... A lot of kids have never seen a kid in a chair... And i just explain to them that he has a booboo on his brain and cant do things like they can... Its the ADULTS that stare that piss me the f*ck off!! They should know better! So wen you talk about people staring at your son... I know exactly what you mean and how you feel. And also about the small achievement... Alex drank from a bottle til he was about 5yo. I tried him w a sippy cup one day and he picked it right up!! I cried. He hasnt had many achievements ... He was doing good until 06. He had a seizure in the middle of the night and he almost died. His kidneys and liver were failing... He didnt wake up for almost 10days! But when he did finally wake up,he was totally diffrent... It wiped him out... I hate that hes had to go thro so much... Hes had no childhood... And he'll never do the things that other kids can.. Ever. Ill never hear him call me mommy or tell me he loves me or have friends to spend the night... All the little shit that parents to "normal" kids take for granted. And dont feel bad for wishing he was "normal"... I do too... A LOT!
    Anyway... Sorry for this being sooo long. And again... That is so awesome that your son plays football... =) thanks again for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....you are amazing- dealing with so much. I work with a child with CP and every thing is an accomplishment for him... thank you for reading my blog and sharing your story..it means a lot to me

    ReplyDelete