Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Why am I watching cartoons? My kid's aren't even here!

11-year-old eccentric Catbearrabbit


Today I was puttering around the house, with the TV on as usual providing background noise.  I had been watching  Big Bang Theory ( a decidedly "grown up" show) on demand- and wandered away as I often do when my ADHD kicks in. When  the show ended- it reverted back to regular programming which had been on Cartoon Network earlier. I heard the familiar sounds of one of the kid's favorite shows and I wandered back into the living room, drawn by the music.

This is no fun
I sat down with the intention of changing the channel, or better still, just turning off the idiot box. Next thing I knew- it was 15 minutes later and I had been fully absorbed and entertained by this cartoon (it was Chowder BTW) and there was NOT ONE KID in my house.  I quickly turned the TV off and went to go do adult things , like laundry and scrubbing toilets.


But for 15 minutes, I was lost in the brightly colored world of cartoons, and I was happy. It never occurred to me that I didn't HAVE to watch, there were no kids fighting  for more TV time, sitting mesmerized, almost drooling while watching  brain rotting cartoon hi-jinks. It was just me, all by myself, and I reverted to an 8 year old on a Saturday morning.

I will probably do this again- hell, I may have done it subconsciously already!  And no- I am not going to disseminate today's cartoons, and whether or not Spongebob is a bad influence- because frankly, I find Spongebob funny- stupid yes, but funny.  I also like "grown up" cartoons like The Simpsons and Family Guy. And don't get me started on old school toons like Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, and Scooby Doo- because I love them too!  Every once in awhile- I think it is ok for a grown ass woman to sit and enjoy a kiddie cartoon sans kiddies. If I start sitting in the middle of the floor during the day, rocking back and forth nursing a bottle of wine while watching marathons of Spongebob and Phineas and Ferb then people might want to worry.


I know what we are going to do today!
  
Love Old school Toons
                                                                                                                                     
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea

No comments:

Post a Comment